Caring for your Danskos
Dansko produces shoes with a variety of upper materials, each having unique care requirements. Dansko styles should not be machine-washed or dried unless specifically recommend. Please contact us for specific care instructions best for your Danskos. Below are general care tips:
- Leather with a smooth finish: Clean with a damp cloth. Leathers can be maintained with leather lotion or a shoe shine sponge. Ordinary scuff marks can be touched-up with a matching polish. Note that silicone and other oils may darken light-colored leathers.
- Patent leather: Clean with a damp cloth.
- Oiled leather: These leathers have been treated with heavy oil, which increases durability and weather resistance. Clean with a damp, soapy cloth. The uppers can be re-oiled with the gentle use of an oiled sponge.
- Suede leather: This type of upper has a fuzzy, napped finish and surface dirt can be removed with the gentle use of a soft brush. Do not apply oils but clean and dry suede can be protected with a non-oiled based suede protector spray.
- Nubuck leather: This is leather that has been lightly sanded, to create a velvet-like surface. You can protect nubuck by using a non-oiled-based suede protecting spray. Remove surface dirt with a soft brush, being careful not to press hard.
- Fabric uppers: Clean with a damp, soapy cloth.
To dry your Dansko shoes, remove the insole (if it is designed to be removed) and gently fill the shoe with a dry cloth, to absorb moisture and help maintain shape. Allow drying naturally, replacing the cloth as needed. Do not place shoes near a direct heat source.